Early California Antiques Shop

The Lummus Gin Sign

Regular price $75.00

“The Lummus Gin” Sign, gray metal with green “ivy”. 9.5 x 8.

Franklin Hadley Lummus formed the New York Cotton Gin Co. in 1863. Primarily a sales organization, it joined in 1867 with the Brown Cotton Gin Co. (New London, Connecticut) and W.G. Clemons, Brown, & Co. of 82 John Street in New York City. In 1871, the consortium was dissolved, and Franklin H. Lummus purchased the failed W.G. Clemons, Brown, & Co., creating the foundation of the present Lummus organization.

 


Franklin’s two sons, E. Frank and Louis E., soon joined the operation, and it became F.H. Lummus & Sons. After the founder’s passing, the company was incorporated by his widow and sons as F.H. Lummus Sons Co. By 1898, the company had outgrown its limited facilities in Juniper, Georgia, and relocated to Columbus, Georgia. In 1910, the acquisition of the Dallas-based Air Blast Gin Co., plus an aggressive sales program, created the need for additional production facilities, and shares were sold to several prominent local businessmen. The expanded organization was renamed Lummus Cotton Gin Co., the name under which it successfully did business for some sixty years.
In the early 1920’s, Lummus entered the textile machinery market with the popular down-packing baler. This line soon expanded to include openers, cleaners, and blenders. At about the same time Lummus also began to serve the newborn man-made fiber industry. Lummus was among the first to realize that synthetic fibers demanded the use of specialized equipment to suit the fiber’s individual characteristics—it was not simply a case of modifying the conventional natural fiber systems, but of creating new methods of handling new fibers. Lummus baler and cutters became industry standards.

More from this collection