Harvey House silver bracelet with a gorgeous piece of green turquoise.
FRED HARVEY JEWELRY ERA: 1920’S TO 1950’S
“What Fred Harvey was able to accomplish from 1920’s through the 1950’s was never done before and has not been done since,” quote from Gerald Knowles in the book “Route 66 Chronicles”. The Fred Harvey houses on the way out west were notable establishments for rest and food. Herman Schweizer commissioned Navajos to create new jewelry to sell at the Harvey House in Coolidge, Kansas, using authentic “pawn” designs. This was the start of the Harvey House sales of Indian jewelry, pottery and rugs. In the 1920s the western Harvey Houses offered “The Indian Detour Tours” to show travelers the world of the Southwest Indians.
Harvey House Indian Jewelry is a highly sought after collectable today. The earlier pieces are of coin silver and all hand done from the 20s and 30s. Some of the items from the 40s and 50s were marked Sterling and were from different shops & makers, including Silver Arrows, Maisels and Bell Trader, still all hand wrought. This jewelry is recognized by certain symbols on the outside, like eagles (or Thunderbirds), arrows, whirling logs, horses, feathers, cacti and snakes. Some pieces have turquoise stones and some do not. (adapted from ice cricket)